Dec

December Plans

Author Brant    Category All, Updates     Tags

During the first half of December, there is now a concrete plan in place to finish and release The Duel simulator. You can read further down this post for extensive details on its status and what remains to be completed. The second goal for the month is to finish the new Survivor algorithm contained in the Merge Template and release this algorithm inside the Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X simulator. Typically, these seasons are released within 24 hours of the finale, and this is the hope, but it is not a guarantee since the Survivor finale’s date is currently unknown and because this simulator is going to be the first Survivor season running on a new system.

The Survivor Merge Template is currently being used to test the new Survivor algorithm, but it’s release date is still unknown and it is a possibility but not guaranteed for December. After simulators are released for The Duel and Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X, there is a chance that development may begin later this month on an Australian Survivor and/or a Big Brother: Over the Top simulator. These will use components not included in any current BrantSteele.com simulator such as audience decisions in BB:OTT and the option to change settings weekly in Australian Survivor. These two simulators are not guaranteed to be finished this month, and there are no other simulators planned for this month.

This is a question posed for users, but would you rather see more frequent simulators released with less logic and detail, infrequent releases with extensive details, or a combination of the two? Keep reading for more details on how long it typically takes to make a simulator and see how this applies to the current work on The Duel. Your responses will help determine questions for an upcoming user survey that will help decide 2017 plans and scheduling methods.

12/5 Update: There has already been a change in plans. With the Survivor 33 finale airing next Wednesday, one week earlier than I expected, 100% focus needs to be put into the new Survivor algorithm to have this season released as close to on schedule as possible. More progress has been made on final challenges in The Duel, and that simulator should be released about a week after the Survivor 33 simulator.

A simulator is considered simple if it lacks logic. These can be programmed in as little as 2 days or as many as 12 days if they do not share common elements with existing simulators. The Hunger Games Simulator would be included in this category of simulator. Anything that involves user defined profiles, relationships, alliances, or other attributes is considered a logical simulator and not included in this category.

Most logical simulators begin their development as simple simulators with the logic added later. The below process describes the initial method for creating the Total Drama Island and Duel simulators, which are considered logical simulators with higher than ordinary levels of detail. The actual days and ordering varied slightly.

Day 1: The template is created for the new season and show combination with the core settings established.
Days 2-3: A simulation engine is created that runs from start to end of the season. No intelligent decision making is added, simply random decisions.
Days 4-5: Page displays are added that relate to the different parts of the simulation engine, and a navigation system is added that connects these pages. Sample for The Duel here
Days 6-7: Edit Cast & Random Cast are added for the season. Sample for The Duel here
Days 8-9: A statistics & summary page is added for the season. Sample for The Duel here
Days 10-11: A placements page is added for the season. Sample for The Duel here
Day 12: A voting chart is added for the season. Chart 1 and Chart 2

Following the release of Total Drama Island simulator in mid-August, work began on The Duel simulator. The first part of planning is always spending a few weeks researching the season by watching the episodes if they are available online. Both Jacob and I did this to obtain a better understanding of the season and what all was involved. Following the planning, the steps above were all completed for The Duel simulator prior to the release of the Big Brother 18 simulator on October 1st. The first two weeks of October were spent better incorporating logic into The Duel simulator and making three distinct event pages each episode. The first highlights the relationships and alliances, the second shows the events that occur, and the third is a new event description concept that shows alliances impacted by the losing dueler and what the duel winner does at the end of the episode after his or her victory. A reasoning system was also added that explains all of the selections made following the challenges and explains why the second person is selected to compete in each episode’s duel.

For the past month and a half, the one remaining part of The Duel simulator has been the challenges (and some bug fixes and finishing touches). These challenge have been the primary BrantSteele programming focus with some side focus being placed on keeping the new Survivor algorithm development on schedule. Since The Duel is a simulator based on challenges and dueling, significant emphasis has been put on making all aspects of these competitions logical and true to the show, including parts like when competitors get to choose the order that the other competitors compete. Some of these individual challenges take several days to make – longer than it took to make full other simulators. For instance, the episode 2 challenge Ring Toss is very complex, outputs to several hundred lines of text, and explains the entire elimination process of both groups.

As it stands today, 6 of the challenges have been completed and added to the simulator. Another 4 of the challenges have been outlined and are in the final stages of programming, 3 more have been outlined and are in the early stages of programming, and the rest are being prepared. In order to stay on a decent schedule, time limits have been placed on how much time to spend designing the final challenges, which may result in sacrificing a little logic. The result should still be a simulator containing the most detailed challenges in any simulator designed on BrantSteele so far. User feedback on these challenges will determine if it will be worthwhile to spend so much time designing complex challenges like this on a simulator again. As it stands right now, the upcoming Survivor 33 season and Merge Templates do not include detailed challenges to the extent of The Duel simulator or Total Drama Island. Similarly to The Duel simulator, the final weeks of the Total Drama Island simulator development were spent adding various degrees of logic to the competitions.

This post was made partially in response to all of the questions on the current status of The Duel simulator and other updates. Thanks to everyone for your patience.

50 Comments to “December Plans”

• Hudson [Guest] December 1, 2016 at 11:21 pm

I’m really looking forward to the Total Drama Island Simulator and Merge Template for Survivor. I’ll be as patient as I can be. Hopefully everyone else can be the same way.

Brant [Admin] December 1, 2016 at 11:22 pm

-I think I prefer to play a simulator that either has extensive details or a combination of both that and less logic and detail.

So basically very detailed competitions, but ones that don’t have every step completely logical?

• Profile photo of Joshua
    Joshua [Member] December 1, 2016 at 11:30 pm

I hate to be “that guy” but

“Your responses will help determine questions for an upcoming user survey that will help decide 2017 plans and scheduling methods.”

Will an option for wanting Interactive Survivor happen to be on that user survey? If not, can it be?

Brant [Admin] December 1, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Perhaps. I’m certain more interactive simulators would be the most popular selections if they were included on it. The survey isn’t going to be simply a list of possible simulators with the top results chosen. It’s going to be more of a tool to help evaluate the 2016 year and determine ways to improve for 2017.

• Jake Miner [Guest] December 1, 2016 at 11:33 pm

I would rather see a not so logical simulation cause I am an impatient person XD so I would rather see less logical and detail.

Brant [Admin] December 1, 2016 at 11:46 pm

I would estimate about four simple simulators could be designed per month, if details were excluded and logic was kept to a minimum. It would be one way to eliminate a lot of upcoming simulators from the to-do list.

At the same time, it’s very difficult to add logic back to certain simulators that were originally rushed and designed without it. The Hunger Games Simulator, for example, would need to be rewritten to handle logic. (This could also potentially destroy the server during a traffic surge)

• Profile photo of Corey
    Corey [Member] December 1, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Thanks for all your hard work!

Brant [Admin] December 1, 2016 at 11:51 pm

Thanks!

• Profile photo of Drew
    Drew [Member] December 2, 2016 at 3:19 am

Thanks for the update! I don’t mind waiting for new simulators, I think they’re more unique when they include logic and more complicated challenges πŸ™‚

• Mark [Guest] December 2, 2016 at 5:13 am

Hey….
    So there are a bunch of bugs in the Cambodia simulator and I was wondring if there would be any way to fix them? Mainly the merge idol not being re-hidden and in episode 13 the final 8 double immunity, the first immunity goes to a male and then the second one always goes to someone already voted out of the game. Thanks for all the amazing work you put in to this site!

• Profile photo of Arcturus Dean
    Arcturus Dean [Member] December 2, 2016 at 7:38 am

I was thinking that some simulators don’t need huge amounts of text on the challenge, but in terms of programming, I don’t think that it’ll change the difficulty of producing the simulator by much. A possile inclusion I personally would like to see is detailed tribal council, or at least the final tribal council. You know, some conversations and alliance stuff? As for simulator preference, I think BIG simulators (i.e the Duel) should have logic, but simulators such as Total Drama Series shouldn’t have logic considering it’s not really strategical. As for Survivor and Big Brother seasons, is it possible to make them simple first, then make a seperate simulator later for logic. That way we get to experience the simple simulators, and have something to lokk forward to. Because as you’ve seen, some people have been impatient. The last thing I suggest is Beta testing. It would be great if you released simulators once they are playable so that we can test it out and check for bugs, it’s risky as the server may crash, but it allows us to give you bugs that you may have overlooked, or ideas that could nake it better. Keep up the awesome work guys!

• Profile photo of Liam Cipher
    Liam Cipher [Member] December 2, 2016 at 11:25 am

When will Community Simulation 21 be? I’ve been waiting for a while to get on one of those, but I kept checking in too late.

• Profile photo of Eric Smith
    Eric Smith [Member] December 2, 2016 at 2:05 pm

I would rather have a combination of the two.

I am so excited to have The Duel on here! Also, one TV Show’s cast I would like to see added is the Bad Girls Club. I know there are a lot of seasons, but it would be awesome!

• Profile photo of Carson
    Carson [Member] December 2, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I’d rather have high logic simulators, as simulators without logic bug me.

• Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen [Member] December 2, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I would definitely prefer more complex/logical simulators myself.

I do have a question for the Survivor Merge Template, what’s the range of number of players you would allow on a season? Like, for Big Brother, it’s 10-20, but I was wondering if that would be different here.

I also remember one of the posts you made in the comments of the last update had this picture in it ( http://i.imgur.com/5KSIIWD.png ). I’m sure you’ve thought of this idea before, but I thought of there possibly being a generic Survivor Template which we could edit the format of the game with. For example, a Four-Tribes of Five season that doesn’t use the Cook Islands simulator, where you could set idols on/off. Choose when Swap/Merge/Jury is, Final 2/3. Stuff like that. I don’t know too much about programming but that stuff doesn’t seem absolutely un-doable. That having been said, I know it would obviously be a huge undertaking and likely distract from other sims, so I’m not gonna go crazy demanding things.

• Profile photo of Luigimas
    Luigimas [Member] December 3, 2016 at 12:11 am

Will the next logic simulator be total drama action or something else?

• Profile photo of Arcturus Dean
      Arcturus Dean [Member] December 3, 2016 at 4:20 am

Total Drama doesn’t need much logic, since eliminations are random. So adding unneeded logic is a waste of time. Imo. The Duel is the next logic simulator or possibly the Merge template. Whichever is released first

Brant [Admin] December 3, 2016 at 11:01 am

No decision has been made on Total Drama Action’s release date, but there’s no room for it in December unfortunately.

• pingu55 [Guest] December 3, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Wow nice cant wait for it . Love the Simulators on the Site and i cant wait for the duell this can be my favorit simulator be. (Sorry my english is bad πŸ™‚ )

• David [Guest] December 3, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Hi, i love your simulators. My question is; have you any plans to include some talent simulators? I would love to see here The X Factor or The Voice Simulators. Would be so nice!

• Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon [Member] December 4, 2016 at 2:34 am

Just a question. On the Wikipedia page for The Duel, what exactly does the colour next to their name mean?

• Profile photo of tyler
      tyler [Member] December 13, 2016 at 11:59 pm

The color boxes next to the names represented the color of the jersey that person wore throughout the competition

• Profile photo of Viserion
    Viserion [Member] December 4, 2016 at 7:33 am

Someone buy me Wall-E on Blu Ray as xmas gift pls <:

• Profile photo of J
    J [Member] December 4, 2016 at 8:53 am

I would much rather have higher logic simulators.

Sims like Circle, Dog eat Dog, and Hunger Games are just downright boring. I don’t mind waiting long for better simulators that are more fun to do stuff with.

Also, is a customizable survivor brantsteele even possible? Like user chooses when merge, swap, etc. Is?

Brant [Admin] December 5, 2016 at 9:06 pm

It’s possible and is one of the most popular suggestions along with interactive Survivor. The new algorithm on BrantSteele.com for Survivor is the first piece of the puzzle, and the Merge Template is aiding that. What comes next for Survivor is still to be determined but could be one of the frequent suggestions.

• GL11 [Guest] December 4, 2016 at 1:48 pm

I really want the Hunger Games simulator to add things like alliances or skills, just so I don’t get weird things (Rue killing Katniss, Careers running away from the Cornucopia).

Brant [Admin] December 5, 2016 at 9:00 pm

This would be very popular. It’s possible, but it’s something that would need to be done carefully. The Hunger Games Simulator has the highest amount of traffic, so making the simulation engine more complex could cause server problems.

• Profile photo of Spirit
    Spirit [Member] December 4, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Hi. The Total Drama simulator has a vote table and I was wondering if you planned on adding these to Survivor seasons. I really REALLY would love for that to happen. Thanks.

Brant [Admin] December 5, 2016 at 8:57 pm

That’s been something that has been discussed the past months, but it’s difficult to make these charts on the BrantSteele.net simulators because of how they’re programmed. I’d hope they can come to the new Survivor seasons on BrantSteele.com, but they’re not ready yet.

• Profile photo of Delcatty
    Delcatty [Member] December 4, 2016 at 9:03 pm

How about making the Dog Eat Dog simulator have more than 6 people already

it SUCKS when you can only simulate with 6 people

• Jake Miner [Guest] December 5, 2016 at 11:45 am

Same. Go to at least 20 people?

• Profile photo of Griffen
        Griffen [Member] December 5, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I can’t imagine losing all that money to 20 people. Also I would not want split money with 18 other people lol

Brant [Admin] December 5, 2016 at 8:54 pm

I think 6 and 50 contestants are extreme numbers for both Circle and Dog Eat Dog. There may be more flexibility added to these simulators, just not right away.

• Profile photo of BothPower909325
    BothPower909325 [Member] December 4, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I’d prefer to play a simulator that has extensive details. I just rather have reason for example, a reason for elimination like alliance, betrayal, threat, or relationship status instead of randomly eliminating someone.

Brant [Admin] December 5, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

• Profile photo of john
    john [Member] December 5, 2016 at 9:15 am

Will We get a BBOTT simulator and maybe interactive?(Like bbus1)

Brant [Admin] December 5, 2016 at 8:52 pm

A BBOTT simulator is probably going to happen, and if it does, it will definitely have audience choices since they were a fundamental part of the season.

If the BBOTT simulator is released soon, it won’t have a full interactive, play-as-yourself option. That would take longer to make and is probably not going to be included in the first release.

• Profile photo of Hallsi
    Hallsi [Member] December 6, 2016 at 12:04 am

I prefer detailed and logical simulators,

• Profile photo of Shy
    Shy [Member] December 8, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Do you think y’all will add more twists to the future template? I love playing around with the template because it feels like I can control my one HG instead of watching everything happen. Is it possible for there to be double evictions or somebody self evicting? I’m just throwing out some suggestions but I really appreciate the work that you guys do.

• Trace [Guest] December 10, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Hello! I love all of your simulators and they’re so much fun! I’m a big fan of Big Brother, Hunger Games, and Survivor so it’s great to be able to play these simulators. I personally like logical ones and longer ones because they’re more fun to play than the random ones.

I would really love to see more options on the Hunger Games Simulator. Careers often die just as early as normal tributes and there’s usually only one or two Bloodbath deaths. I think it would be much better if you could create alliances and have popularity and profiles and willingness to kill and things like that, because it would make that simulator a lot more interesting and fun to play. Even playing a Hunger Games simulator interactively would be amazing. I would love if you added even one of these features to the Hunger Games simulator. Also, it would be nice if the Future Template on Big Brother had a save option. I’ll be on the lookout for any new simulators or updates πŸ˜€

• Scott [Guest] December 11, 2016 at 4:00 am

So could you like possibly make survivor seasons with like 40 castaways ? Because that would be like totally epic.

• Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan [Member] December 11, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Detail and logic is the way to go (just not to over the top) I’d say, was also wondering if the amazing race sim is on the 2017 plans.

• Profile photo of Domonic
    Domonic [Member] December 12, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Any updates ?

Brant [Admin] December 12, 2016 at 4:51 pm

A lot of progress has been made with the Survivor 33 Simulator. It might be released on time, which would be Thursday, December 15th. The season template is finished. However, the final part is incorporating the new Survivor algorithm into the template, and that’s causing some problems since this is the first Survivor simulator on the BrantSteele.com server.

There are a few options for how to fix this. The functions needed to complete the season could either be borrowed from Total Drama Island, re-created from the .net Survivor simulator and optimized for .com, or released with the new .com Survivor algorithm in an incomplete form. I would expect a combination of all of the above to occur, and there may be some issues upon initial release but they’ll be resolved and result in a better product for this and future Survivor seasons.

• Profile photo of Domonic
    Domonic [Member] December 12, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Like on whats going on

• Kevin [Guest] December 13, 2016 at 10:07 am

Hello! First of all I would like to thank you for your hard work, it’s impressive! About your question… I think I rather more detailed simulators, as they are more enjoyable… Although I’m very impatient, I think the waiting is really worthy!

And changing a little the topic… I wanted to ask you if u have ever wonder about making an America’s Next Top Model kind-of simulator… I would really like that!

Thank u again! I wait for u answer patiently hahahaha

• Profile photo of Malik
    Malik [Member] December 15, 2016 at 1:24 am

Honestly in my opinion, I’d prefer simulations that are more detailed and take more time then ones that are put out early that’s basic. But whatever you guys do, I’m down for it! πŸ˜€

• Profile photo of Evan
    Evan [Member] December 15, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Will the Survivor 33 simulator be released today??? Thanks for all the hard work!!!

Brant [Admin] December 15, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Probably, but some parts of the new algorithm are still unfinished so we’ll see what happens.

I’m still working on trying to complete these with as much detail as possible, but if I can’t finish in a few hours, I’ll borrow these functions from other simulators to release it in time and then finish later.

• Profile photo of Eddie
    Eddie [Member] December 23, 2016 at 11:53 am

Can I ask a question! Will saved characters ever come back?! I use personal mode a lot and implement my friends or random objects or avatars from sites and I hate that everytime I want to use them again, I have to go through the process of Name, Nickname, Image URL, M/F. I know you guys used to have a feature in which the users could save their custom characters but it was removed for some reason…why? Will it ever be back? Thanks for the help in advance! πŸ˜›

Account

Who’s Online

There are no users currently online

Twitter: brantsteele

Partnerships

Big Brother ORG Wiki - Play Big Brother online against groups of new people as you compete in competitions, build relationships and alliances, and conspire to take everyone out to win the game!

Survivor ORG Wiki - Experience the game of Survivor online. Strategize, make alliances, and take part in challenges as you play against people from all over the world.

Survivor Wiki - Study everything Survivor with Survivor Wiki's vast array of information on contestants, tribes, seasons, episode summaries, challenges, twists, and more!

Recent Reddit Posts