Apr

How to Make a Cast Photo

Author Jacob    Category All, Misc.     Tags

I know many of you have been wanting this very much, but because of personal issues over the last couple weeks I have been unable to, so I am glad to finally say I have created a tutorial on how to make a cast photo!

Now, before I get into it, I just want everyone to know that there are endless ways on how to do this, and the way I am showing you today is merely one way to do it.

First of all, I use Photoshop CS2 because although it is very old, it is free because Adobe cut the CS2 activation servers, essentially allowing a free and legitimate download of Photoshop CS2 for anyone with an Adobe Account. Click here for more information on downloading Photoshop CS2.

For this example I am going to choose a photo that requires quite a bit of editing in hopes to cover as much as I can…

When you open Photoshop and the photo you wish to edit, the next thing you want to do is open a New File (Either in the “File” tab at the top, or the Ctrl+N shortcut). From there, set you’re dimensions to 90 pixels by 90 pixels and open your new file; Set it aside.

At this point, the goal is to get the target’s face to fit inside the 90×90 frame. Although you may think the Crop Tool would be the easiest to use, I personally prefer the Rectangle Marquee Tool because of the features it brings to the table.

If the Rectangle Marquee Tool does not appear at first, click and hold where it should be until a list appears.

So, once you select the Rectangle Marquee Tool, you will notice the options on the top bar will change. What you want to do is change the Style to Fixed Size and change the dimensions to 90px by 90px. You may have trouble with the target’s face being too big or too small, in which case feel free to change the dimensions, but make sure the ratio stays the same (EX. 200px by 200px is fine, 185px by 185 px is fine, but 130px by 142px is not okay). Try and keep the numbers as clean looking as possible. Also when changing the dimensions, make sure you add “px” before changing the number, or it will change the unit of measurement.

Before you move the image, make sure you unlock the layer by double clicking the layer in the bottom right panel.

For my image, I actually had to change the Rectangle Marquee Tool’s Fixed Size to 600px by 600px (it was a big image). Once you get the dimensions right and you have centered the box over the target’s face (do not let the marquee go off the image because that messes with the dimensions when you move it), you want to use the tool I have circled in red, and drag the dotted box over the the empty 90px by 90px file (I simply moved the image out of its original place so you could see what it looked like).

So, now you have your image in the new file, but obviously it is a little bit too large. What you want to do now is go to the Edit tab in the top menu bar (I have circled it), and then click Free Transform.

Once you have made it here, make sure to change the dimensions to 90px by 90px. If you want to be safe, add some pixels on (Personally, I changed my dimensions to 95px by 95px). Before you click the checkmark at the top to confirm, make sure you drag the image into view. All you have left to do now is to center the image so the entire 90 by 90 pixel frame is filled. If you are having trouble centering it, click View > Snap, it should help; If not, uncheck it by clicking it again. Once that is done, you are finished! Save the image as a PNG, JPEG, or GIF, upload it to an image hosting site (imgur.com for example), and it is now ready for use! If you are using it for Big Brother, keep the file open after saving, click Image > Mode > Grayscale, and click OK; Your image should now be black and white. Simply save this new photo under a different name, and you have an evicted image.

I understand this might be confusing as this is the first time I have done a tutorial like this, so let me know how I did and if you need any help, I will do my best to assist! If you would like the photos I made I will also provide you the links to those!

NOTE – Sorry about the photos going off the page, you can click them to go to their image URL.

12 Comments to “How to Make a Cast Photo”

• true [Guest] April 16, 2014 at 12:35 am

sh*t, I saw katniss and thought it had simulator hunger games

• Profile photo of Riley
    Riley [Member] April 16, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Hi, I’d like to make a quick suggestion. A mode where you could just put the names of people and not force the use of pictures. It would make it much easier for people like me who just want to do simulations with people I know, but I don’t want to have to get pictures. Even if there weren’t pictures needed and when putting in the nme of someone, their memory wall picture would just be the first letter of their name. Thanks for the work being done 🙂

• Connor Weaver [Guest] April 16, 2014 at 5:04 pm

i do that, If your friends and you have a instagram go to http://web.stagram.com/ and search there username ( you have to log in) then right click and click copy image then paste into the box thing

• Jimmy [Guest] April 16, 2014 at 6:06 pm

that’s a great idea Riley, atm all i’ve been doing is taking cast photo’s already on the site and changing their names but a no photo option would be great

• Profile photo of Skyler
      Skyler [Member] April 16, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I’m confused… What would a “no photo option” do?

• Imprincinia [Guest] April 17, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Great idea. Sometimes I just want to do a custom sim and I don’t want to track down images for everyone. Would love to see this implemented at some point.

• Austin [Guest] April 16, 2014 at 9:20 pm

When can we expect to see survivor china?

• Connor [Guest] April 17, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Much needed… Thanks! But I have something about the simulator…
    When is BB simulator coming out? From the start, Big Brother came out the gates with new rules and twists every year, but you guys are doing survivor revamped, and honestly, all the seasons are the same. Can you please work on Big Brother or later seasons of survivor for revamped? So excited to see what this site will become but I check every few days on the blog and i see “New Revamp for ____” and it kinda annoys me since revamped has been out for a few months now(?)
    but anyways, nice site, I love it 🙂 keep it up <3 thanks for reading 😀

• Jez [Guest] April 18, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Where is Survivor China?!?

Please work on later survivor seasons, they are way more fun!

once we get one of the earlier seasons we basically have them all

• Profile photo of Skyler
    Skyler [Member] April 19, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Why does BB5 say have Karen as the twin & why does BB8 have Jameka as America’s Player?

• Joey [Guest] April 25, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I usually just copy and paste one of your pics onto a program and then take the pic I want and fit it as the same size as the pic lol

• James [Guest] July 16, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Speaking of cast pictures and Katniss in the picture, you should create a hunger games. Like a simulated one… ” Katniss grabs bow and shoots and kills Glimmer”
    Katniss, Peeta, and Rue form a alliance..
    ETC

Account

Who’s Online

There are no users currently online

Twitter: brantsteele

Partnerships

Big Brother ORG Wiki - Play Big Brother online against groups of new people as you compete in competitions, build relationships and alliances, and conspire to take everyone out to win the game!

Survivor ORG Wiki - Experience the game of Survivor online. Strategize, make alliances, and take part in challenges as you play against people from all over the world.

Survivor Wiki - Study everything Survivor with Survivor Wiki's vast array of information on contestants, tribes, seasons, episode summaries, challenges, twists, and more!

Recent Reddit Posts